Animal Control

Animal control is provided in our more populated townships.  Animal control officers are dispatched for domestic animal complaints by the Penobscot Regional Communications Center.  For domestic animal complaints, please call 207-945-4636.  For wild animal complaints, please call the nearest office of the Maine Warden's Service.  For a listing of dog licensing locations, please click on the link below.

E911 Addressing

Our department is responsible for E911 addressing in the Unorganized Territories of Penobscot County.  We gather road and structure data and work with the State's E911 Bureau to assign house numbers.  If you need an E911 address, please call our office at 207-942-8566.  Be prepared to give specific directions to your property, as we must visit the site to obtain a location data point. 

895 Cedar Lake Rd


Fire Protection

The Penobscot County Commissioners contract with nearby fire departments to provide fire protection services to many of our other Unorganized Territories.  Burn permits may be obtained from the Maine Forest Service at 207-827-1800.



We provide summer maintenance on 51.78 miles of road and winter maintenance on 123.43 miles of road.  Anyone opening a new driveway on town way in an Unorganized Territory must complete a Highway Entrance Permit Application.  Road classifications are identified in the Road Summary.  Click the links below to veiw the documents.  

MDOT's Map Viewer is another tool for determining road lengths, right-of-way widths and road classifications.  Click here to access the Map Viewer. 


Solid Waste

Solid waste removal is accomplished in a number of different ways throughout the Unorganized Territories. For townships with curbside pickup, trash should be placed curbside by 7:00 AM on collection day.  In addition, we have partnered with surrounding towns to allow our residents to take materials to local town transfer stations.  Delivery of materials to the transfer stations requires a permit, which may be obtained by calling our office at 942-8566.  Residents delivering materials to the Millinocket Transfer Station must obtain a permit at the Millinocket Town Office.  Descriptions of the hours of operation and the materials accepted may be accessed through the links below.  Argyle & Greenfield residents may take wood and brush waste free of charge, 7 days a week from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM to Thornton Construction, 206 Bradley Road, Milford, ME.  A free permit for this purpose may be obtained from the Old Town City Hall.

The Old Town Transfer Station is no longer accepting brush or wood waste.  This material may now be taken free of charge from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM, 7 days a week to Thornton Construction, 206 Bradley Road, Milford, ME.    Free permits for this purpose may be obtained from the Old Town City Hall.